6 advanced fat loss strategies
Written by Mark Coles - Follow on Google+ | Facebook | Twitter
Fat loss is very rarely a linear process. In the early phases of fat loss, when body fat levels are high, you should rarely need to use advanced fat loss strategies.
Many people (trainers included) simply lower calories and introduce more cardio in an attempt to get themselves or their clients lean. However, as fat loss comes to a halt, if you’re not strategic with your fat loss approach, then the added weight loss will usually be coming from muscle.
There are many tools at your disposal, and you will achieve way better results, the more you use. So what are some of these extra strategies? Read below for our top 6 strategies.
1. Carb cycling (low, med and high days). The benefit of fluctuating you carbohydrates is that you will force your body to switch between macro nutruents as the week patterns out. Low carb days will force your body to use fats as fuel, and then higher carb days will force your body to use carbs as fuel. By fluctuating carbs around body parts, you can also maximise performance. So you can have higher carb days on leg and back day, and then medium carb days on shoulders and arms days. All this fluctuation will prevent your metabolism from stalling and will increase fat loss.
2. Calorie cycling (primarily higher cal/carb days on training days). Calorie cycling is essential is you want to have an awesome physique at the end of your journey. One of the main reasons is to ensure that you don't give you metabolism a reason to stall. The other reason is that you can provide more fuel on hard training days, and less on non training days and smaller body part training days. This is another strategy that wil ensure consistent fat loss.
3. Low carb (which will mean higher in essential fats) This will include strategic 2,3 or 4 days low carb with one high carb day.
4. Cheat meals/re feeds. Take some time to read the detailed article located at the link.
5. Strategic recovery days (often a day or so backing off intense training will do wonders to your metabolism).
6. Adding in extra training sessions as you get deeper into your diet. the benefit of this is that you can add in extra calories to aid performance and recovery. You won't need to add in extra cardio, and you'll also have a fuller physique by the end of your journey.
By using only calorie reduction and increased cardio, your body will eventually get to a point where it will refuse to allow you to burn any more body fat. So being strategic with the tools at your disposal, can create subtle shocks to your metabolism and fat loss hormones, which will stimulate increased fat loss.
Often I may start with subtle calorie reduction and similar introduction of cardio, but deeper into a diet I may switch the diet to a carb cycling strategy. The strategy I use will always depend on the individual and how their body is responding. But the more choice I have, the less chance I will have of hitting a plateau.
Remember, there is certainly more ways to skin a cat, don't get lazy and stick to one method. The more variety in a diet, the more consistent the fat loss, and the better your physique will look at the end.
How do I structue a fat loss training programme?
If you'd like to know how we help our clients at M10 lose weight, and keep it off, pick up a copy of the M10 Blueprint
e-book today by clicking the link below