5 Health Benefits of Coconut
Written by Mark Coles - Follow on Google+ | Facebook | Twitter
There is still some confusion still hanging around coconut and coconut oil. In this article, we hope to clear this up for you and restore your faith in this amazing food that you should be incorporating in to your diet.
It all started because coconut has fat and that did its reputation no good. However, what many people don't understand is that its saturated fat!! Most people think that if anything has saturated fat - its bad. Now with trans fats you're right, we want to stay away from these as they are a whole different story. We cannot function without fat, it’s incorporated into our cell membranes and the right fat helps transport vital vitamins around the body.
Coconut oil has medium-chain triglycerides (different to it’s cousins “long chain”) that are an easy fuel for the body to burn without turning to fat. Many other oils have long-chain triglycerides. LCT’s are usually stored as fat. Because coconut oil is an MCT, it is more easily absorbed and converted to energy quickly.
People who live in tropical regions have been using coconut oil diet for centuries. They consume lots of coconut oil each day, eat very little processed food and they have hardly any heart disease. They use it for being healthy, lean and in good shape too. Not only that, here are more benefits of consuming coconut:
- Coconut oil is an MCT and it turns into energy that creates a lot of heat quickly. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition have published several studies that explain how MCTs burn three times more calories for six hours after a meal than LCTs
- Coconut oil is one of the best cooking oils without any doubt. It has a higher smoke point than olive oil and this means you can cook with it at higher temperatures. It is harder for coconut oil to go rancid, rancid oils cause free radical damage in the body which is a leading cause of cancer. You can store coconut oil at room temperature for over a year.
- Coconut is mainly composed of fat called lauric acid which is antiviral and antimicrobial. In the body Lauric acid is formed into monolaurin which is a bug killer.
- Coconut oil helps your body absorb nutrients more effectively, such as Vitamin E.
- Coconuts are highly nutritious and rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Hopefully after reading this you will be heading off to get your extra virgin coconut oil.
Would you like to know how we help our clients lose fat, get healthy and change their body shape? Pick up a copy of the M10 Blueprint today.