Are you having trouble getting your calves to grow?
Written by Mark Coles - Follow on Google+ | Facebook | Twitter
Calves are the muscle group which people place the least amount of variability to. 3 sets of 10 - 12 once a week and everyone complains that they're struggling to see any change.
Now I don't profess to have bull like calves, but I have seen huge changes to them over the last 4 - 5 years, and I continue to do so with the variation that I add to my training.
Let me open your eyes to some things you might not have tried yet:
- High reps medium to light load (50 plus reps per set)
- Low reps heavy load (3 - 5 reps per set)
- Total number of reps in as few sets as possible (100 plus)
- Training calves 2,3 and even four times per week
- Pause in the stretched position after each rep (anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds)
- Pause in the contracted position after each rep (anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds)
- Drop sets
- Occlusion training
- Extending a set with a loaded stretch at the end of each set (10 - 20 seconds)
- Cluster sets (anywhere from 4 to 10 reps) E.g, 10 reps, rest 10 seconds, get 3 reps, and then repeat 10 seconds rest and 3 reps four more times. This increases the tonnage per set and overall time under tension.
- Gastrocnemius focus (upper calf portion)
- Soleus focus (lower calf portion)
- Single leg calf training
- Giant and tri sets
- 1 set of calves after each set during upper body workouts (increases overall training volume)
- Training calves at the start of a workout when you're fresh (placing them as a priority)
- Feet narrow on the plate
- Feet wide on the plate
- Toes pointing in
- Toes pointing out
- Squeeze your glutes to ensure you don't sit back
- Lean forward to accentuate the stretch on your calves. Many people lean back and ride exercises like the seated calf as if it was a bucking bronco.
So there you have it, plenty for you all to go at. Don't complain you're not seeing any change if you've not even attempted a major selection of the variations listed above.
You now have the winter to hide and grow, then the summer to show!!
Would you like to pick up more of our training tips to transform your physique? Get your copy of the 8 Week Physique e-book today.